|Long-gun registry near death|
|Local Content - Local News|
|Written by trevor|
|Thursday, 23 February 2012 16:33|
After a long-fought engagement in Ottawa, the elimination of the long-gun registry is one step closer to completion this week.
Bill C-19, or the Ending the Long-Gun Registry Act, recently passed third reading in the House of Commons and will now be headed for the Senate for final consideration before passing into law.
“That was certainly something that we had been working on for years as part of our policy,” said Medicine Hat MP LaVar Payne. “Now it has gone to the Senate, and the Senate will do their readings and their committee meetings, and eventually pass that bill, hopefully by summer. In which case, the registry will be destroyed as part of Bill C-19.”
Payne indicated reaction to the progress of the bill in the riding has been almost universally positive.
“Almost every week I’m getting e-mails or phone calls or running into people saying get rid of the long-gun registry, so that in fact is happening. It’s just a matter of time now before it gets through the Senate and receives Royal Assent, and then that will be the end of it.”
While Bill C-19 removes the need to hold a registration certificate for non-restricted firearms, it does not change the requirement for all individuals to hold a licence in order to possess a firearm, a background check, and pass the Canadian Firearms Safety Course.
“I’m very pleased that we’re moving forward on that issue, because I think it’s important to the country, particularly for farmers, sports shooters, and duck hunters,” said Payne.