Today, 19 school boards from across Alberta issued an unprecedented statement about the impact the PC Budget will have on our children’s education.
“Dirks isn’t being honest with parents,” said Alberta Party Leager Greg Clark. “Just a few weeks ago he made it clear that school boards would not be allowed to access their reserves without his prior approval. So far, he hasn’t given his approval”.
Education Minister Gordon Dirks, responded to the school trustees by issuing a press release from his campaign, which stated:
“….I’ve been clear all along that school boards will be permitted to use their reserve funds if needed to meet front-line service needs in the coming fiscal year while they find savings in non-teacher costs – that is what this money is there for. These are school boards, not school banks.” -Gordon Dirks, Minister of Education
However, that’s not what Dirks told the school boards in a memo he sent to them earlier this month. It was clear that school boards needed Dirk’s prior approval to tap into their reserves.
“Therefore, no expenditures, even those already planned, are to be funded through your ASO without prior ministerial approval,” Dirks wrote at the time. – Metro Calgary, April 9, 2015.
“I am calling on Dirks to write the school boards today and approve the use of their reserves immediately,” said Clark. “And he should do it on government letterhead this time”.